Re: changing a few things in our host mgmt tools

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Âsome thoughts have been slowly coalescing in my head about how we're
> managing our boxes/services and I have some suggestions I've passed by
> various folks but I wanted to check them out with everyone:
>

> 1. puppetd sucks..... memory. Right now we have puppetd running on every
> box and it wakes up every half hour and runs itself. This is fine but in
> the time where it is not doing anything it just eats memory for no good
> reason. I'd like to suggest we move to a cron-driven model instead of
> puppetd. I'd write a simple cron job that runs every half hour to run
> puppetd, if a lock file is not found. Pretty straightforward, of
> course.

I'd be happy to help get this going.  I've set up puppet a few times
in this fashion now and it's pretty easy to do.

> 2. monitoring if puppetd has run properly:
> Â two things we want to know about puppet runs:
> Â a. when they last happened per-box
> Â b. if they fell over in a horrible way.

It might be overkill, but puppet dashboard is pretty nice.  It's a web
interface, kind of like a nagios for puppet, telling you exactly the
things you want to know above.  Plus, it has some pretty graphs :)  It
runs on cron jobs too.  I've set it up once about a year ago, pretty
nice.  I'm sure it's improved some since then.  Again, I'd be happy to
help set this up.