Re: auto-pruning mailman messages held for approval

On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey,
>   in /var/lib/mailman/data/ there are an ass-tonne of messages held
> in various approval queues.
>
> This morning there were a total of 21778 messages waiting for various
> lists. Some of them are NOT young.
>
> Since they are just files that live in that dir - how would folks
> feel about setting a 2-month limit? If a message is not
> approved/discarded/rejected/etc by the mailing list admin w/i 2months
> then tmpwatch it away?
>
> it, ultimately, makes mailman run better.

Sounds fine to me.

I personally go through and deal with all the lists I admin on a daily
basis. It might be worth asking folks to consider adding moderators or
admins to lists they never find time to moderate, or adjusting their
settings.

Do we have some way of sending an email to '*-owners' ?
If so, we could ask them to consider adding moderators, or adjusting
settings so this is not such a problem, and also we could tell them
that we will autoremove after 2 months or whatever.

kevin