Fwd: Re: Heads up: Genshi will be abandoned and become obsolete

On 04/16/2010 04:09 AM, Darren VanBuren wrote:

>  Genshi works reliably for us, I'm with just saying that we keep it and
>  if needs changes, it's our job to make those changes, which will
>  hopefully kickstart (pun not intended) a new community to develop
>  Genshi.
>  Darren L. VanBuren
>  =====================
>  http://theoks.net/
>

>  On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 13:38, Luke Macken<lmacken@xxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
>
>>  ----- "Stephen John Smoogen"<smooge@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

>>>    http://groups.google.com/group/turbogears-trunk/t/ec921035779324e9

>>>  from Genshi

>>>  the unmaintained precursor to Genshi.

>>>  that both Babel and Genshi are worth being further maintained and
>>>  enhanced, and I'm still interested to actually do the work, but
>>>  obviously I'm not able to allot anywhere enough spare time to that
>>>  task right now. What's more, I've unforunately been unable to attract
>>>  other developers to contribute significantly to either code base, let
>>>  alone build a strong community.  That's not to say that I consider
>>>  either project end-of-life. I still use them for my own stuff. But I'm
>>>  the pretty much the single point of failure for both projects, and
>>>  I've been failing badly and consistently at maintaining/enhancing them
>>>  for some time now. Sorry.

>>>  very solid templating solution, and comes with both more momentum and
>>>  better performance than Genshi.  But I'm not sure how a gradual
>>>  transition could work. As Noah said, you can't switch some of the most
>>>  important pages to Jinja and still support stream filters. Or site
>>>  templates using match templates for advanced customization. You'll
>>>  also need to rethink parts of the internationalization story, I
>>>  guess.

>>>  going to hurt. But it might just be worth it.

>>>  project upstream

>>>  bugs as they are filed

>>>  instead, which is supposed to be able to run Genshi templates faster
>>>  than Genshi can.

>>>  needs a bit more work.  It may still be worth looking into, though.)

>>>  so #1 is ideal.

>>>  that I'm working on will use the Mako templating engine (which is
>>>  actively maintained by the SQLAlchemy author).  However, it seems
>>>  we've taken the #2 route with Kid for the past 5 years, and I've had
>>>  zero issues with it.

>>>  default templating engine to Mako.  The only reason not to for 2.0 was
>>>  to ease the 1.0->2.0 transition.  However, everyone I spoke to was in
>>>  favor of switching the defaults in 2.1.
>>>
>>>  Looking at the options and other parts.. I think staying with Genshi
>>>  for the most part would be our 'best' bet. If someone is really
>>>  motivated or if we are doing a huge code change in something then
>>>  maybe it would be attractive for changing.
>>>
>>  Yeah, I agree.  This issue has caused a lot of discussion today, and there are definitely a lot of people out there that care about Genshi
> [...]
I would be more than happy to take up Genshi if needed, having used
Genshi for college projects for fedora websites and a lot more things, I
dont want to let it go away easy. I have been taking talks on Genshi
too, and if I let it go away easy I would miss something I really love.
If anyone is interested together we can probably take up the ownership
and make fedora as the new upstream for Genshi.

-Hiemanshu