Re: [RFR] Infrastructure sponsor needed for Fedora Distribution App.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> Description/Summary: This application will integrate all the different
> methods of offline fedora distribution. This will also address several
> issues that came up while operating the freemedia and distribution
> project. This will make finding or managing the vendors easy. Lastly,
> it will replace the existing freemedia front-end and make filing
> ticket a one step process.
>

> Project plan (Detailed):
> 1. Currently we keep the vendor list in the wiki.[1][2] These are hard
> to maintain. And it is also hard for people to find out a suitable
> vendor. The proposed app is geoip aware one which returns the most
> appropriate results based on location. This will reduce the load on
> freemedia as there are vendors who offer the disk from less than
> half-a-dollar.

How is maintaining it in an app going to be so much easier then
maintaining it in the wiki?

> 2. It is a pain to maintain the wiki list and verify each and every
> vendor. We plan to notify each vendor upon a new release. We also want
> to let them have an account so that they can update their accounts
> themselves.

You still have to verify vendors and notify them.

> 3. Currently, in freemedia, we open the form for a day or two and
> close it for the rest of the month. This creates a problem for us. We
> want to keep the form opened for NA for a longer time, EMEA for lesser
> time and so on. In this app, there is a python-sqlite wrapper around
> trac which enables us to differentiate between the regions and
> close/open the form for a region on demand.

Why not have multiple forms?

> 4. There are countries which have their own freemedia program (brazil
> for example). They want us to redirect requesters to their sites.
> Currently, we need to add a redirect manually everytime we want to do
> that. We also address it here.
>
> Should you need more info, please let me know.
>
> Goals: Integrate all the offline sources of fedora. And present them
> to the uses in a
> neat and convenient way.

I get that building websites is fun and all but I just don't see why we
would host this.  This seems completely a workflow issue.  You're still
entering in and validating data either way.

Perhaps I don't understand what this app does?  If you're tracking vendors
why not just use a spreadsheet or something?

	-Mike