From: Bernhard Schmidt [berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:17 AM
To: admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Additional IPv6 Bittorrent tracker

Hi,

as most of you probably know IPv6 is the upcoming successor of the
current internet protocol IPv4. I have recently started to look into the
Bittorrent over IPv6 situation (my summary is available at
http://www.birkenwald.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:ipv6-bittorrent
).

Currently, while most Bittorrent clients are IPv6-capable most trackers
are not.  This makes it very hard to impossible for clients to find IPv6
peers on their own.

The Bittorrent Multitracker extensions, which are implemented in almost
any client known today (and still provide a full backup path for clients
not implementing it) allow multiple trackers to be specified for a
torrent. We have recently done this for the conference recordings of
26c3 (a big german hacker conference) and had good results. The same
scheme is now in action for Ubuntu and Knoppix. The OpenOffice project
gave positive feedback, but has not implemented it so far.

Therefor I'd like to ask you to put an IPv6-only tracker into the Fedora
torrents.  If there is a need I would volunteer to run that (see the
URL) and I also have a few very high-speed seeders (>= 1Gbps) on native
v6 that can help out to seed.  But as stated before, this would only be
an additional tracker, not replacing the current one.

Please tell me what you think about this.

Best Regards,
Bernhard