Re: Fedora Hosted entry on Wikipedia

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 10:42:38AM +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 01/31/2010 06:03 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Responding to a recent status post:
> >   http://twitter.com/berrange/status/8231080017
> >
> > I added Fedora Hosted info to the Wikipedia page in question:
> >   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities
>
> <o/ <o/ <o/
> \o> \o> \o>
>
> Great move!

Thank Daniel Berrange, who posted a status update at some point last week
that drew my attention to this oversight.

It would be good if someone else could make a meaningful [[Fedora
Hosted]] page on Wikipedia that covers the system similarly to entries
for other hosting systems.

> > I'd appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could check the information
> > there and correct any oversights or errors.  Thanks.
>
> Just a few stabs at what I'm seeing:
>
> 1) Wouldn't Transifex be considered a translation system? Google Code
> and Launchpad are considered to have a translation system and there's
> extra foo you need to do there, not unlike what you have to do on Fedora
> Hosted (add transifex user to your scm group and tell somebody about
> it). Transifex of course is way better then either of the other
> aforementioned...!!

Agreed -- but is the integration as close as with those systems?  I'm
not arguing one way or the other, I don't have a translated project on
Google Code that would help me know.

> 2) In the way that github allows you to have personal/private branches,
> and Sourceforge doesn't, isn't Fedora Hosted somewhere in between?

Is it?  I'd need more information to be able to tell whether my entry
was correct... give me some background and let's see if I got it wrong
or right.

> 3) The trac system also allows for email2trac (along w/ anti-spam?),
> ticket templates and code review, and probably more. Maybe that's worth
> mentioning too.

Could be a footnote, right?  I'd suggest adding it to the page... it's
a wiki! ;-)