Re: Ok. Looks like this one _may_ fulfill our calendering needs. Testing required.

> As I posted to the ticket, I've come across another candidate which
> appears to meet the requirements and which I don't _think_ we've
> dismissed already - eGroupWare:
>
> http://www.egroupware.org/
>
> it has a decent web interface, doesn't seem to be insane in any way,
> doesn't need Java (it's PHP), is fairly mature and actively developed,
> and has CalDAV support for the calendaring stuff.
>
> I'm probably going to deploy it on my own network for my own needs,
> will
> try to report back on how that goes. My servers run Mandriva, where
> it's
> packaged (though a very old version, I'm currently updating the
> packages).

Well...it works!

http://www.happyassassin.net/extras/egroupware_caldav_it_works.png

egroupware's web interface on the right showing the test appointment I
set up, evolution on the left showing the same appointment: it's
accessing the calendar from my personal egroupware server, via CalDAV
(see the left hand pane).

It seems like a pretty impressive little beastie, too. I managed to kill
it by somewhat inadvisedly trying to use its webmail support with my
fairly underpowered mail server's gigantic IMAP mail boxes, without
using the imapproxy instance I have set up on the mail server. I think
it timed out on something and left its MySQL database in a broken state.
But that's the only problem I had. I haven't gone beyond setting up the
test calendar appointment and verifying Evo could connect to it, really,
but I'll stress it a bit more tomorrow by trying to get SyncML working,
sticking my *real* calendar in it, and trying contacts as well.

The server I'm using runs Mandriva; I've updated Mandriva's egroupware
packages for this purpose. It'd be fairly trivial to convert the
packages to Fedora. Upstream actually provides Fedora packages, but at a
glance they're not terribly clean. I haven't checked whether there are
any private copies of what ought to be shared resources in egroupware
yet, really, but at a glance it doesn't involve any hideous packaging
nightmares; it's all just PHP, and it seems to use shared resources
where appropriate (it uses quite a lot of php-pear stuff).

Do poke me on IRC if you have any questions. Will duplicate this post on
the ticket.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey