Re: IPv6 for Fedora services?

On 08/23/2009 04:50 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
The automatic Internet2 detection will need some help too, as right
now the BGP tables I'm pulling from
   http://syslog.abilene.ucaid.edu/bgp/WASH/RIBS/
is only listing IPv4 addresses.

neat :) didn't know about this.

As for serving other content, if it's fronted by the proxy servers
(e.g. web content), then it should naturally start working via the
IPv6-enabled proxys.  Testing will prove that out.

Yep.

Though I would prioritize A+AAAA web setups below other tasks, since web content has the greatest possibility of meeting a misconfigured user, who cannot figure out what went wrong.

For non-web content (git, cvs, ssh?), I believe this is mostly hosted
in PHX, which at this point we don't believe has native IPv6.  How can
we go about requesting such in the colo?  I presume this is something
that Red Hat IS would have to ask for on our behalf.  I'd much rather
try to get native going, instead of dealing with 6to4 (the nearest
6to4 server is 10 hops and 60+ms away) or tunnels.

Agreed...  unless native IPv6 is estimated to be years away.

Internal pushing at RH has yielded very little result...

fedorapeople is at BU, which has some native IPv6 capability, but it's
not clear they use it:
   http://www.mrp.net/IPv6_Survey.html

As for DNS servers (serving DNS over IPv6), we have:
ns1 is at serverbeach.

Best googled estimates are "probably by the end of 2009"

ns2 is at ibiblio.

That's the good news. ibiblio has been experimenting with IPv6 for years: http://theclassicalstation.org/press/2004_ipv6.shtml

Also, another DNS issue: getting AAAA glue records served by the .org registrar.

We'll need to know their native IPv6 capability before proceeding
there.  This is less critical, as most users are still doing their DNS
lookups to an IPv4 DNS server at their ISP.  But it would be nice.

Technically this is true... but it is also true that most users are still doing IPv4 ;)

I tend to look at DNS as a "sooner rather than later" hurdle, because that is the first link necessary to construct an all-IPv6 path to the destination servers.

	Jeff