Re: fedorahosted git repo too large

Nigel Jones wrote:
On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 23:44 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
Yuan Yijun wrote:
I just tried to download revisor git with this command "git pull
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/revisor master". I have to repeat
4-5 times since it breaks during downloading. The .git folder is
about 58MB. After "git gc --aggressive" it becomes only 6MB.

Anyone please run gc on server?
Perhaps better would be repack.  There was a recent thread on the git
list and one of the developers pointed out an older mail from Linus
where he described gc --aggressive as "mostly dumb" and recommended
that using something like "repack -a -d -f --depth=250 --window=250"
instead.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel/94613
That's actually a very useful article and the methods/reasons behind it
sound quite sane and it could be a useful approach for us.

I'll try this out on one of the smaller repos (a copy of course) and see
what happens.

We've ended up doing this live as well and I'm happy with the few stabs I took at seeing if everything still works.

Feel free to make this a regular thing on the revisor repo and I'll report if anything breaks, so that if it doesn't, this could maybe become a regular thing to do on all repos?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip