Re: Jigdo - A Professional Letter to Mike McGrath

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
* Any Spin: Not all mirrors chose to carry the ISO images. A next-hop
or local mirror might not be available with the ISO images for direct
download. This very close mirror will be able to be used to "put
together" the ISO image and with our awesome new MirrorManager the
acquisition of this data source will be automatic.
* Bandwidth Optimization/Utilization: We are able to utilize mirrors
around the globe without requiring mirror admins to think twice about
hosting Jigdo data, they already are hosting most of the data needed to
put the image back together and have to install no additional software
(as in the case of running a torrent seed.)

I will speak as a mirror admin (ftp.free.fr/ftp.proxad.net). As far as I am concerned, bandwidth is not a real issue but disk IOs are. Disk capacity is growing exponentially, sequential access bandwidth grows linearly but disk seeks decrease at a very slow pace (SSD are coming but they do not match yet the needed capacity). Thus, improving server performances means either adding more disks or optimizing disks access (ie reading more data per each disk seeks).

The "biggest" mirrors I manage are stored on a two-disks RAID1 volume (to avoid stripping which induce disks seeks) and IO are optimized by doing 1 MB chunk readahead (using posix_fadvise). If I need additionnal bandwidth, I may increase the readahead chunk size. But this is usable only if the file I read is big enough (and if the fragmentation is kept low).

As long as jigdo use is uncommon, I just don't mind but if it had to be commonly used, it would mean a very sensible decrease in performances.

François