Miror management - downloads and users

Hi

When we announced the FC6 statistics milestone of a million users, it was described as the amount of downloads in many places. This widespread confusion even internally in Red Hat is probably many software projects like say Firefox usually advertise their download rates. One way to avoid this is provide both download and user estimates except that we dont really have download numbers.

We could ask each of the mirrors to send us the data but that is a bit tedious and mirrors might not participate. A better way might be a mirror list designed to allow us to keep tab of the downloads. sf.net for example has a web page that is not a static list of mirrors but a web page with a round robin system. We could do something like that or geo ip based page which suggests the mirrors near to them. I dont think we would be able to know partial downloads with this but it allows us a more accurate estimate of much of these downloads actually translate into users. Comments?

Rahul