Re: cfengine overview - pros and cons

On 12/22/06, David Douthitt <ssrat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've used cfengine in a production environment, and found it to be very
useful and powerful.  I'll just list the features (pro and con) below.

PROS
----
* Distributed operations

* Self contained binary.

CONS
----
* Documentation - comprehensive but can be hard to know where to start
with new installations
* Configuration is unlike anything you've ever seen
* The "editfiles" section of the configuration is also unlike anything
you've ever seen - and is different than any other configuration section

Actually almost every section has its own variants of the syntax.

The second con is that this is a research project for the author and
not much else.. this can make dealing with problems a bit of a
headache when he has completely theoretical issues he wants to try
out.