Re: [Fedora-infrastructure-list] debian's problems

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 11:57 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> I'm sure you guys are all following the stories on slashdot about the
> problems that Debian is having due to password insecurity that led to a
> compromised account.
>
> What sort of safeguards do we have?  Is this a good time to thnk about how
> we can improve our security *before* there is a problem rather than after?
>
> Do we have some sort of general plan for what to do if one of our public
> boxes is compromised, so that we don't act randomly, or forget things in
> the panic of the moment?

I dunno if you've been on this list before today but we've been talking
about that subject quite a bit.

We've already covered the idea of relying SOLELY on ssh keys for
shell-level access to systems and the possibility of requiring client
ssl keys for web-access.

Mike brought up the idea of subdividing things a bit tighter in terms of
who can login to what systems so we don't have too much 'global' access.

yes, we're moving on all of these things.

-sv