Re: kde session keyboard settings

On ਮੰਗਲਵਾਰ  31 ਦਸੰਬਰ 2013 09:14 ਸਵੇਰੇ, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
On 31/12/13 13:58, Martin (KDE) wrote:
Am 31.12.2013 12:38, schrieb Roderick Johnstone:

Now on to x2go...
By setting keyboard layout and keyboard model alternately to (gb,
pc105/gb) and then (fr, pc105/fr) I found that the requested keyboard
layout was set but only on the first login via x2go. I found I could
reset the keyboard if I removed the ~/.config directory. Later I found
that all that was needed was to remove the ~/.config/dconf directory.

Console sessions were always right now, no matter what.

As you found out too, in the x2go session the IBus keyboard icon was
displayed in the system tray. I then found that by removing all the
ibus* packages the keyboard layout was set correctly in the x2go session
every time.

Like you, I'm not too sure what IBus is doing but it seems to remember
the first keyboard layout used in the x2go sessions and thereafter
always use that for x2go sessions, but not console sessions.

I digged a littel deeper in this and found im-chooser. with local login
this is set to "none", with x2go login this is set to "IBus". I switched
this in my 2go session to None as well an still had us keyboard but no
ibus any longer.

After setting german keyboard in the kde keyboard dialog ("input
devices" in kde system settings) I got german keyboard after every
login. I don't use different keyboard layouts here. Testing with x2go
keyboard layout settings does not set the keyboard in the x2go session
accordingly (tested with us keyboard layout).

Still confused about this
Martin

I hope that this all remains stable for me now. My experience with the
x2go keyboard layout setting is that just as I think I've got it
working, it stops working!

Roderick

Martin

So, I just did a completely fresh install (with the correct kickstart
keyboard command, without any ibus packages and touching
/usr/share/X11/xkb/keymap.dir) and used a fresh user account.

The keyboard mappings are still good when connecting via x2go (and
changeable via the x2go client)!

I also tried with Mac client and that was able to set the keyboard ok as
well, although it didnt want to connect at all with the keyboard type
set to "auto".

It sounds like you have yours in a usable state as well now.

Maybe someone who knows more about the IBus and im-chooser stuff can
suggest how to make it work with IBus, but at least for me, that doesn't
seem to be needed at the moment.

Fedora i18n team (i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx list) can help for ibus/im-chooser

thanks
--