Re: Defining Minimum Criteria for I18N Support

Rahul Bhalerao wrote:
Hi all,

I think the term 'Language Support' has been used in more vague sense
so far (please correct me if I am wrong).  Also there has been a
difference between a language being supported technically and a
language that is supported with all the localization. Thus there has
been a need to define the terms with more clarity. I think it would be
good if we have two different sections for a language support namely,
i18n and l10n.

Recently I have tried to formulate a minimum criteria for a language
to have "I18N Support". The same is documented here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/I18N/LanguageSupportCriteria

On the same lines we may even have similar criteria for l10n support.
I would like all to do a little review of the above and provide some
feedback so that we could finalize this.

Thanks,
Hi Rahul,

Thanks for taking an initiative to define the criteria for language support. However, I am not sure whether the term (Language Support) used over here is correct or not. Because any package or feature of the application included in Fedora have any specific criteria for *support*. The criteria defined on the above URL could be called as a *Language Inclusion Criteria* in terms of I18n and L10n both instead of *Language Support Criteria*. Anyways, FLP team would be happy to define the Language Inclusion Criteria in terms of L10n I think.

I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am. Because as far as I know, for Fedora, "Support" means voluntary help from community contributors through mailing lists, forums or IRC. That's it, I think! No specific criteria for it.

So, let's hear the inputs from other members on this thread!

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel