Re: installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Nicolas Mailhot さんは書きました:
dejavu-fonts and dejavu-fonts-experimental also occur in quite a few
language groups, so they might be worth including too?

> I'd rather wait till they get a farsi-friendly arabic variant now that
> Behdad added locl support to Pango (unless the pango support is good
> enough to ignore glyphs not specifically tagged for a locale)

Hm, ok - do we have suitable Farsi font currently in Fedora?
Presumably dejavu-fonts will eventually obsolete dejavu-lgc-fonts?

It's not an overkill, the complete variant of dejavu includes many
unicode blocks we have no support for in other fonts, so it's referenced
in the associated language groups (it's *not* referenced in the language
groups dejavu-lgc already covers)

Right, so from that point of view it would be nice to default to the full font and there is not much difference in terms of size.

I'd like Fedora to do a periodic review (at Test1 or 2) of what fonts
are installed by default, so new fonts are added and fonts superseded by
others are dropped. Big font lists are very user-unfriendly, especially
when they stuffed with fonts only a few locales use (ie block-specific
fonts as opposed to pan-unicode ones)

Sounds like a good idea. Fedora I18n could help with that specially for Asian fonts. Is there a good place on the wiki to put a reminder to do that during each release test cycle? In checklist under RelEng perhaps?

Jens