Re: [Fedora-i18n-list] Unable to input Japanese on stock FC2 intall: Can't add "Input Method Switcher"

Hello Lawrence,

 Thank you for the response.  Indeed, the applet *is* running:

/usr/libexec/gnome-im-switcher-applet --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_imswitcher_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=37

Starting gedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim makes the IM switcher module appear, and work as expected. Unfortunately, the main application that I want to use Japanese input with is a Java application - it doesn't look like Java (under the 1.5.0 beta runtime at least) supports iiim as an input method. Both of the following failed:

GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws /home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=iiim" /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws /home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

however, if I manually start up kinput2, the following works:

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/bin/javaws /home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp

I really don't like using kinput2 though - iiim is much nicer. I actually don't know too much about internationalization and linux (just installed FC2 last week, and that is about the experience I have with either of them) although I have tried to read up on things. It looks like FC2 starts up canna and FreeWnn, which is what kinput2 is using via XIM, which Java supports. Is it possible to get iiim working with Java, or is that a Java issue? If it isn't possible, is there a better conversion engine / backend combo I can use with Java that at least pops up a graphical list like iiim for choices? Should I be asking these questions somewhere else?

Thanks in advance, and I'm glad to see that the IM Switcher not appearing in en_US environments bug will be fixed soon.
dave

Lawrence wrote:

Hi Dave,
Check if the applet is running by looking at the processes running.
ps -aux |grep applet

If it is running,
/usr/libexec/gnome-im-switcher-applet
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_imswitcher_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=40

As you are in en_US locale, there are two way you can see the GIMLET.

Method 1:

GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gedit (or any GTK application)

Method 2:

Right-click mouse in your GTK application and select IIIMF as your Input
Method.

Hope it helps,
Lawrence