Re: Are we really going to require fonts to be built from sources by Fedora packagers? [Was: Re: Suffix for "Old Standard" ?]

Hi,

We do not "require" fonts to be built from source. We ask packagers to
build font from sources when those sources are available unless they
have a very good reason not to.

However once upon a time, we didn't require fonts to be modifiable.
When enough modifiable fonts became available policy changed (and Luxi
was chucked).

So I fully expect this strong preference to be changed in a
requirement in a few releases once we have built a sufficent built
from source font base. Font projects have those few years to adapt
while the tooling matures.

If some of the fonts you want depend on FLOSS build tools not in the
repo now, please package those tools. That's what I did with xgridfit
when I packaged edrip.

--
Nicolas Mailhot