Re: Packaging Unikurd Web font for Debian

Le Jeu 10 avril 2008 05:05, Erdal Ronahi a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Everyone seems to forget the Fedora Kurd users, but anyway, I'll try
>

> I'm not forgetting them, I just don't know any. The Kurdish Linux
> community
> is pretty much an Ubuntu Community as far as I am aware.

If you have any user of CentOS, RHEL or OLPC they all reuse Fedora
packages.

>> again. We have very similar packaging resources than Debian (only
>> better :p) including:
>

> Is there any chance that packaging for one distribution (Fedora or
> Debian) will spare me packaging it for the other?

None at all, unfortunately (well everyone tends to copy what's in
RHEL, but that's no decent sharing). Deb-based distributions with copy
debs of other distributions, rpm-based distributions will copy rpms of
other distributions, but you still need to make sure there is one of
both to have correct user coverage.

However, while the packaging steps are a little different, you'll be
asked pretty much the same things Debian and Fedora side.

> I remember packaging a dictionary
> years ago (for Debian) and found it difficult.

I've always considered rpm friendlier on the packager side, but I'm
obviously biased.

> Later I was happy to see that
> somebody had made a RPM from it without contribution from me.
> Is something similar possible for fonts?

You can always hope, but there is no guaranty that it will happen soon.

--
Nicolas Mailhot