Re: Packaging a font for Linux

Le Mar 8 avril 2008 13:03, Erdal Ronahi a écrit :
> Hi Davide, hi Nicholas,

Hi Erdal,

> I am the head of the Kurdish l10n group for free software. Ben Laenen
> was so
> kind to give me your emails. I am asking for help with packaging and
> distributing a font for Linux.

[...]

> What we
> are not familiar with is how to package this font and get major
> distributions like Debian or Fedora to accept it into their
> repositories.
> Should we file a bug for that, if so where, or can you two help us
> directly?

The Fedora font teams dwells at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts

You'll find here quite a lot of packaging documentation, and the page
on which new font packaging requests are registered.

However since our number of font packagers is currently very small, I
much prefer forming new font packagers than packaging new fonts
directly (we already have a huge backlog). It's a win-win - you learn
how to package new kurdish fonts and push your font updates quickly,
we get new fonts in Fedora without putting more burden on the existing
font packaging team. If you have one or several people that have
fedora installed we can arrange some font mentoring session on ##fonts
one week-end (or evening CET time).

Otherwise if you prefer I can also help you through the
get-it-packaged-by-someone-else process, but it can be a lot longer
given the current packager pool.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot