Re: On CJK font selection (was Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings])

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 15:41 +0600, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> Language specific rendering *can* be achieved using OpenType lookups -
> but, even
> if the font contains the necessary language specific lookups (and most
> don't),
> for this feature to function correctly the system somehow needs to
> know which
> language is being used. This cannot always be determined by current
> locale, the
> keyboard/IME used to type the text, or from the range of Unicode
> characters
> involved so especially with multilingual documents you need users to
> reliably
> mark up text. Language then needs to be indicated by some high-level
> form of
> mark-up or tagging within the documents - which right away excludes
> plain text.

Setting locale is actually enough.  If that's not desired,
$PANGO_LANGUAGE can be set as a fallback.  So far seems like most of the
issues happen because either the users are not setting locale correctly
or are using crappy fonts.  How do I don't care enough about those cases
I'm not surprised.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

...very few phenomena can pull someone out of Deep Hack Mode, with two
noted exceptions: being struck by lightning, or worse, your *computer*
being struck by lightning.  -- Matt Welsh