Re: [Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings]

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
This small fraction needs to organise itself, identify problems in
Chinese font/text support, possible fixes, and relay them to upstream
projects. For example every year freedekstop.org organises a text summit
where pretty much every project that counts in FLOSS text rendering is
represented:

http://unifont.org/TextLayout2007/

It would be extremely helpful if the Chinese FLOSS user community sent
someone to next year's summit to list the main problems affecting
Chinese users, and what the Chinese community feels needs to be done in
projects like fontconfig or pango to fix them.

The rest of the year having clearly identified Chinese relays people can
ask questions to (like "if I do this will it break Chinese apps") may
probably help too.
I fully agree with you that a representing group is needed to facilitate
the communications and speak for Chinese users on all text layout issues.
I will make contact with the related people that I know, including Arne Gojge, the
maintainer of the Uni-fonts project, some Redhat developers in Beijing and
the Debian/Ubuntu Chinese group. I am not sure if my energy allows me
to change anything other than taking care of my project, but I will make
sure that your suggestions are passed around among those who are interested.

By selecting  a fontconfig priority of 61 you pretty much removed
everyone relying on fonts with a less than 61 priority from the picture.
That leaves people relying on fonts with a more-than-61 priority to
complain. I suspect some of them, most likely Japanese users, can still
be negatively affected by your changes but I'm no Japanese speaker so
that's up to Jens to confirm (or infirm). And even if Jens greenlights
there is still the possibility of later complains causing to remove your
changes.
I am not sure if you noticed it or not, it has a language matching block before
strong binding to DejaVu Mono:

          <test compare="contains" name="lang">
                  <string>zh</string>
          </test>

it also matches WenQuanYi Bitmap Song in family, IMO, this strong binding will only happen when user is under zh locales and has WQY font installed. So, I do not think it will mess up Japanese fonts as it will not match the lang tag. I tested it under ja locale, and everything seems to be normal (the mono font was not influenced),
the screenshot is attached.

hi Jens, I am not sure if my previous reply CCed you or not, but I want to know your
opinion and test results on this new font config file (attached). thank you!

Lastly for Fedora ≥ 9 we'll probably use DejaVu full not DejaVu LGC as
default, so you may want to adapt your fontconfig file accordingly in
Fedora-devel (you'll note DejaVu full as default got blocked for several
releases due to the same kinds of conflicts you're encountering, and is
only pushed now we're more confident in its non LGC parts. We try to be
fair to everyone)
thank you for reminding me this, I will do the according adjustment if
the config file get approved.

Again, I really appreciate your careful thoughts on these issues. All the
requests are quite reasonable. I will tailor my config file as best as I can
to avoid future complications.

Regards,

JPEG image

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!--
  WenQuanYi Bitmap Song CJK Font Rendering Setup

  History
    created by Qianqian Fang,  2007/12/01

  Purpose:
    1. use the system preferred Latin vector fonts for non-CJK characters
    2. use wqy-bitmap-fonts for Chinese characters between 10px and 16px (all locales)
    3. use vector fonts (uming/ukai) for Chinese characters for all other sizes
-->

<!--
  Serif faces
 -->
	<alias>
		<family>serif</family>
	</alias>
<!--
  Sans-serif faces
 -->
        <alias>
                <family>sans-serif</family>
        </alias>
<!--
  Monospace faces
 -->
        <alias>
                <family>monospace</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>DejaVu LGC Sans Mono</family>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
			<family>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</family>
		</prefer>
        </alias>
        <match target="pattern">
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</string>
           </test>
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>monospace</string>
           </test>
           <test compare="contains" name="lang">
                   <string>zh</string>
           </test>
           <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="strong">
                   <string>DejaVu LGC Sans Mono</string>
           </edit>
       </match>

<!--
  Use vector fonts at larger/smaller sizes for serif
 -->
       <match target="pattern">
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</string>
           </test>
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>serif</string>
           </test>
           <test compare="more" name="pixelsize">
                   <double>16</double>
           </test>
           <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="same">
                   <string>AR PL ZenKai Uni</string>
           </edit>
      </match>
       <match target="pattern">
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</string>
           </test>
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>serif</string>
           </test>
           <test compare="less" name="pixelsize">
                   <double>10</double>
           </test>
           <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="same">
                   <string>AR PL ZenKai Uni</string>
           </edit>
      </match>

<!--
  Use vector fonts at larger/smaller sizes for sans
 -->

       <match target="pattern">
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                    <string>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</string>
           </test>
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>sans-serif</string>
           </test>
           <test compare="more" name="pixelsize">
                   <double>16</double>
           </test>
           <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="same">
                   <string>AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni</string>
           </edit>
      </match>
       <match target="pattern">
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>WenQuanYi Bitmap Song</string>
           </test>
           <test equal="any" compare="eq" name="family">
                   <string>sans-serif</string>
           </test>
           <test compare="less" name="pixelsize">
                   <double>10</double>
           </test>
           <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="same">
                   <string>AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni</string>
           </edit>
      </match>

</fontconfig>