[Fwd: Re: Request for review and advice on wqy-bitmap-fonts fontconfig settings]

[Resending from correct address to make it to the list...]
--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 02:08 -0500, Qianqian Fang wrote:
> The default fontconfig setup for rendering Chinese webpages under
> non-zh locales is terrible. You can test this using en or other non
> CJK locales, by browsing http://wenq.org , you will see a mixed text
> rendered by Japanese fonts, uming, ukai and some Japanese/Korean
> bitmap X core fonts. In my opinion, that is non-usable. To tell the
> truth, en_US is my default locale for both office and at home. I don't
> want my desktop looks non-legible by my colleagues. However, I do want
> it to process Chinese properly. Most my Chinese friends working in the
> US have the same set up for the same reason. The default en (or non
> CJK) Chinese rendering does need to be improved (it might be more
> appropriate to handle this with Fedora font committee or some sort,
> but improving the situation by installing an additional font package
> may not a bad solution either: those who don't like it just uninstall
> this font, and everything will back to the default way).

This is because by default fontconfig doesn't come with a mind-reader.
You have to tell it which CJK language you want it to prefer.  You can
do that by any of:

  - Setting $LANG to zh_CN for example.

  - Making sure your HTML pages have the lang="zh-cn" tag.  No,
lang="zh" is not enough.

  - With recent Pango and a Pango-enabled firefox, you can set
$LANGUAGE=en_US,zh_CN, or set $PANGO_LANGUAGE=en_US,zh_CN.  It does the
right thing then.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/