Re: [free-electronic-lab] FUDCon EMEA, Paris 2012, any FabLab idea?

On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 07:09 +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Kévin Raymond
> <shaiton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | They are actually building a FabLab: they have few makerbots (like a
> 3D printer)
> | and some other goodies.
> \--
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> ---
> | Do you see something that we can propose as a workshop (if it works with the
> | organization of course)?
> \--
>
> Hands-on tutorial sessions on gEDA tool suite (for example) will be
> quite useful for the audience.
>
>   http://www.gpleda.org/
>
> SK

I agree with he tutorial on gEDA tools.  I have been trying for the past
week to get a simulation working with a bit of a schematic I have drawn.
I am an old hand at design, but new to simulation.  Generally I work out
all the math, bread board the basic design and some empirical testing
and I am good to go, but my newer designs are getting more and more
complex, so I need a new and hopefully better method.  It took me a long
time to track down the links between the symbol, the footprint(s) and
the model(s) to get my simulation to work.

	Someone could do us all a favor by connecting all the dots.  The basic
documentation for the symbol is not sufficient, nor are the linkages
between the various bits explained well, at least I certainly had a hard
time tracking down the bits.

	Note that the basic documentation says to create a gafrc file in the
users home directory.  That works, but breaks other links that are
needed.  It should go in the .gEDA directory for best results.  Note
also that there is a ngspicerc and a gnetlistrc file in there, and these
need to be updated.  The documentation on the PINSEQ label doesn't
really tell what it does (it seems to control the order the pins appear
in the netlist file, which in turn affects the order of attachment in
the model when the model file is linked to the netlist for simulation.)
Also the footprint affects both the layout tools, and the netlist used
for simulation.  There are many bits of the symbol file that have to be
"just right" for this all to work, and while gsheme is well documented,
and gnetlist is well documented, and PCB designer seems usable, the
links between all of them are not simple to find or figure out.  Maybe I
missed some neat documentation package, or I was just too dense, but it
took a long time to get it all working, and I am still figuring out
parts of it, more over I am not sure it is right, as my circuit is a bit
more unstable than I remember in reality (I am using a circuit I have
built in the past to learn.)  It drops out in simulation with some does
not converge errors, depending on the step and lenght of the simulation.
That could use a bit more documentation as well, and a bit of a
troubleshooting guide on how to break down a few different types of
circuits to show how to isolate the issues.

Regards,
Les H