Re: [free-electronic-lab] [RFC] Switching to XFCE/LXDE

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

> To: "electronic-lab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
>     <Electronic-lab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [free-electronic-lab] [RFC] Switching to XFCE/LXDE
>
> On 4 December 2011 03:22, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
>> Chitlesh and myself were considering switching to a light-weight
>> window manager like XFCE/LXDE for which Fedora spins already exist
>> (instead of using Gnome 3).
>
> Hello,
>
> I talked to the LXDE spin maintainer. He said that LXDE is not in good shape.
> Christoph, mind to comment further on this ?
>
> Else, we will have to look at XFCE,
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livecd-xfce.ks;hb=HEAD
>
> Just to remind everyone,
> - the switch to any fedora desktop spin (KDE, GNOME,XFCE,LXDE) is a
> one line change in FEL kickstart file.
> - FEL is independent of the desktop environment.
> - The testing of the fedora desktop spin is carried out by the spin SIG
> - FEL specific tools will be listed in the yum groupinstall 'electronic-lab'
>
> We have to keep the FEL kickstart file
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob;f=fedora-livedvd-electronic-lab.ks;h=c4a8e4afc08d427cad3e5dca191365e016361d5e;hb=b717b0fa2b376ec6e637e22ebcdd3613f3eb565a
> as simple as we can so that we can concentrate on electronics.

Hi Chitlesh,

I migrated from Fedora to Centos ~2 years ago, and have
installed KDE, Gnome 2 and XFCE4. I mainly use XFCE4 as my
working desktop. The others are installed as backups - just
in case XFCE4 does not work after an update.

I use the switchdesk package from the command line to change
which desktops to run before running startx:

Installed Packages
Name       : switchdesk
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 4.0.8
Release    : 6
Size       : 7.6 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : A desktop environment switcher for GNOME, KDE and AnotherLevel.
License    : GPL
The Desktop Switcher is a tool which enables users to
easily switch between various desktop environments that
they have installed.  The tool includes support for
KDE, GNOME, XFce4 and twm. Support for different
environments on different computers is available, as
well as support for setting a global default
environment. Install switchdesk if you need a tool for
switching between desktop  environments.

I used Gnome 3 from the FEL Live CD, but did not like it
much at all.

HTH

Keith Roberts

Websites: