Installation problem, X windows quits

It seems that X windows quits during the install process on Parallels VM 3 running on my mac notebook which uses an Intel GMA950 video system.  I can get to a command line however.  Is there a way to configure X windows to use a more generic driver?  I have never had a problem installing or running Linux before, and I regularly use Fedora 3 and Centos 5.

I get the blue login screen with the earthsun picture (?), but can only do a console login.  Other logins result in a X server restart.

Does anyone know what file to modify to use a generic video driver?

Thanks

--
Marcus Escobosa
marcusescobosa@xxxxxxxxx