Re: Fedora FEL

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Paul Tomlinson wrote:

> Chitlesh,
>
> Thanks for taking time to answer my questions
>
> 1. The documentation seems to imply that FEL runs under KDE. I prefer GNOME
>    How can load for GNOME desktop from Live DVD

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your interest in FEL. The FEL LiveDVD is KDE based as you
mentioned and there is no other means to load GNOME other than install
the FEL LiveDVD, then do an "yum groupinstall GNOME Desktop
Environment"

Another solution might be if you are already running Fedora 10 , you
can create your own gnome-based FEL livedvd.
I have entailed the procedures here.
http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/livedvd.html
Only replace ( on the FEL kickstart file) %include
fedora-livecd-kde.ks by fedora-livecd-desktop.ks after downloading
this file:
http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=blob_plain;f=fedora-livecd-desktop.ks;hb=HEAD

All the FEL EDA tools are available for free download via yum, under
the standard Fedora 10 release, as well.

> 2. Your paper mentions inter-operation between apps. Can you supply more
> information.
>    In paticular I'm interested in schematic/simulation,wavedisplay
> integration and layout verification.

Compared to proprietary EDA environment, in the past the opensource
EDA tools lacked interoperability. Though, we haven't reached the
ideal case, we have brought forward numerous changes during the last 3
years in the opensource EDA tools (already accepted by upstream) to
ensure that users are able to have at least the standard design flow.

> I'm a analog/mixed signal(many years exp) IC designer based in the US and
> would like to build a schematic,sim,layout,verify system test system. I'm
> also interested in the pcba tools. My experience base is traditional tools
> like Cadence, but I would like to support the open source movement for EDA
> tools. If there are some good user/discussion groups I would appreciate the
> names

Below are the 3 active mailing lists:
- opencircuitdesign - more asic oriented : xcircuit-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- toped - ASIC layout oriented :

> I'm going to build a x64 AMD box just to runs the tools and look forward to
> learning the tools set.

At the Fedora Project, we do our best to ensure that the user will
benefit from a smooth experience under different architectures. In
addition to our multi-libs support, Fedora has a very good reputation
on the x86_64 architecture:

> Regards,
> Paul Tomlinson
> President