Re: Mapping tree rework

On 10/20/20 4:01 AM, William Brown wrote:
In the first case we could easily mitigate the risk by testing and be fairly confident, in the second case the tests are too complex to achieve the same confidence and we should take this kind of risk only if there were a serious benefit to balance it, but in this case, there are other solutions with less risks.
Actually, I think testing the lib389 tooling would be even harder. You would need to recreate the logic of the mapping tree and sorting in python, which may have subtle differences compared to the C version. So it would be harder to test and gain confidence in. It also doesn't solve the issue that may come about from manual misconfiguration.

I can understand it could seem too conservervative and frustrating but that is the price when working on mature projects. If you do not do that, the product becomes unstable, and users quickly abandon it.
I have worked on this project for a number of years, so I'm well aware of the culture in the team. We are a team who values the highest quality of code, with customers who demand the very best. To satisfy this as engineers we need to be confident in what we do and the work we create. But every day we make changes that are bigger than this, or have "more unknowns" and more. It's out attitude as a team to quality, our attention to testing, and designs, that make us excellent at effectively making changes with confidence.

Because just as easily, when a product has subtle traps, unknown configuration bugs and lets people mishandle it, then they also abandon us. Our user experience is paramount, and part of that experience is not just stability, but reliability and correctness, that changes performed by administrators will work and not "silently fail". This bug is just as much a risk for people to abandon us because when the server allows misconfiguration to exist that is hard to isolate and understand that too can cause a negative user experience.

So here, I think we are going to have to "agree to disagree", but as Mark has stated - the fix is created, the PR is open. If you have more configuration cases to contribute to the test suite, that would benefit the project significantly to ensure the quality of the change, and the quality of the mapping tree in general. Our job is to qualify and create scenarios that were "unknown" and turn them to "knowns" so we can control changes and have confidence in our work.