Re: Roadmap for rust as a requirement in the project

Hi everyone,

I'm once again here to bring up my favourite topic, of rust-in-ds. Slow and steady progress has been made, and it would be good to update the situation here.

Completed Items are:

>> - william -> fix the intentional name leak in the rust slapi plugin interface to use lazy_static. Today this triggers LSAN which breaks basic test suites.
>> - william -> revive and make on upgrade configs better (see above), potentially break it out from the v4 plugin patch.

Todo Soon:

>> - everyone -> test that you can build and run tests with --enable-rust --disable-asan in your development environment so that we can work out and issues that may exist for us as developers.
> I meant to try this again to confirm, but it worked for me a few weeks ago on Fedora.  The build took a lot longer :-( but it worked ;-)

>> - william -> clean up libsds linking and some of the related elements
>> - william + mark -> check that our respective major distros/releases can build with --enable-rust in release rpms
> As long as "make -f rpm.mk dist-bz2" does all the cargo building it should work fine on Fedora and RHEL.

Todo a bit later

>> - william + viktor -> check that we can pass with --enable-rust and --enable-asan, especially in CI
>> - anyone interested -> update wiki contributing guide to include rust as a requirement
>> - (optional) anyone interested (but not william) -> add a section to the wiki on using rust in development
>> - team -> agree we are happy, and make configure.ac have --enable-rust by default
>> - team -> after a few weeks / months, remove the ifdefs, duplicate C versions of Rust features, and enable/disable features from configure.ac

I'm hoping that if we start to look at some of these items sooner, we could think about this for 1.4.4 (?).

At the moment the major item for all of us would be to test that we can build in our development environments with rust, as that's a pretty major thing we need to pass for us to continue :)

Thanks!

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs, Australia