Re: Please have a look at rewriters design

> On 18 Mar 2020, at 04:08, thierry bordaz <tbordaz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi William,
>
> I updated the design according to our offline exchange

Thanks Thierry, I appreciate the conversation and the updates to the document: it made clear there were extra details up in your brain but not in words yet :) it's always hard to remember all the details as we write things, so thanks for the discussion. Like you said, it's always good to have a team who is really invested and cares about the work we do!

Your design for the core server version looks much better! Thank you. I still think there are some missing points. The reason to have a libpath rather than inbuild is to avoid a potential linking to sssd/samba. I think also that the problem space of the global catalog here needs to be looked at too. This feature is not in isolation, it's really a part of that.

This means we have a whole set of deployment cases to look at.

So the deployment will look like:

IPA DS --> IPA GC

So an ipaAccount from the IPA DS instance will be "copied and transformed" into the IPA GC. This process is as yet undefined (it sounds like it may be offline or something else ...). We are simply not dealing with one instance now, but an out-of-band replication and transformation process. It's unclear whether the data transform is during this loading process, or in the IPA GC somehow.

>From what I understand, it sounds like a method to take an ipaAccount and transform it to an AD GC account stub. Then inside of that IPA GC there are some virtual attributes you wish to add like objectSid binary vs string representations, objectCategory, maybe others.

So from our discussion, we have currently focused on "how do we transform entries within a single directory server". But that's not the problem here. We are saying:

"We take an entry from IPA DS, transform it to an IPA GC stub entry, and then apply a set of further "in memory" transformations"

If that's the process, why not do all the transforms as required in the DS -> GC load process? You raised a critically key point - we have a concern about the write path as the transform point due to IO or time to do the transform, but it sounds like you have to do this anyway as an element of the DS -> GC process.

I think everytime I have spoken to you about this, I have kept learning more and more about this, and the more I see, I have many concerns about this feature. I think we do not have the full picture. You have admitted that you don't know the full extend or ideas here. There is clearly a communication break down here to our team from the IPA project, and they aren't telling us what they want. It sounds like they are asking you to just do "a small piece" but only they know the bigger picture.

The IPA project has the following designs:

https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Global_Catalog_Support

https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Global_Catalog_HLD

https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Global_Catalog_Access_Control

https://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Global_Catalog_Data_Transformation

This also links to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc737410(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

The freeipa design pages are extremely shallow on details. The entire section on how they plan to get data into the GC is:

"""
Global Catalog provisioning

The data in Global Catalog is provisioned from the primary LDAP server instance running on the same FreeIPA master. A SYNCREPL mechanism is used to retrieve the changes and a modified slapi-nis module is used to transform FreeIPA original data to a schema compatible with Global Catalog in Active Directory. Unlike the original slapi-nis module, the data is stored in a proper LDAP backend so it is persistent across the directory server restarts.
"""

Where is the example config? Proof of concept? Even a conceptual set of accounts and groups showing the data transformation? How will they synthesise stable object data points?

The section of "data transformation" even goes to a blank page. Is the rewrite you are being asked to do just for objectSid once all these other transforms are done? Or is there more?

Honestly, it's worth reading the "how global catalog works" from msdn. Just to put it in contrast, that document (when converted to a pdf) is 61 pages long. Look at the features. Group caching, GC replication, partialAttribute replication based on schema, more ...

Honestly, Thierry, I trust you as a very smart and capable engineer, but you do not have the full picture here - none of us do. This seems like a feature that will explode in complexity and scale, and if not done *properly* from the start, may end up with many many half-baked, poorly designed solutions tacked together to make it look like it works. And that means we'll end up carrying that burden, just like slapi-nis (which is everyones favourite plugin ...)

I really think that right now, if the FreeIPA team wants to commit to providing GC support, they need to present a more robust and fully scoped design, that really encompasses the scale and complexity of this feature. Without them providing us clear, communicated designs, we are not able to actually provide well engineered solutions to the problems at hand and we risk another tech debt explosion.

Thanks,

—