Re: Docker releases of 389

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 3:43 AM William Brown <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> RC images have been pushed: https://hub.docker.com/r/389ds/dirsrv

First, I'm not with processes on Docker Hub, so please bear with me...
:) I don't see a Dockerfile tab on the page -- is this because of how
the OSB container pipeline works? (hint: I usually don't trust the
builds on the Docker Hub for which there is not a Dockerfile)

> I'll try to accomodate as much feedback as possible, aiming for 1.4.2 to be out first fully supported release. Sounds okay?
>
> > On 29 Aug 2019, at 12:55, William Brown <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been wanting this for a long time and I think we're almost there - I'd like us to start offering docker images of 389 Directory Server as part of our upstream release process.
> >
> > I have discussed this with Mark already and we both think we are reasonably happy with the idea and the state we're in.
> >
> > -- The Technical Process and Details:
> >
> > As there is significant interest within SUSE for containerised 389, as well as open tooling as part of build.opensuse.org, the current proposed process is:
> >
> > Source Release -> OBS:network:ldap -> OBS:389-ds-container -> docker hub
> >
> > Because this pipeline is automated between source to the container, and this is already part of my responsibility as the SUSE package manager, it's a small amount of effort to then mirror the container to docker hub.
> >
> > I have already established an organisation on docker hub, and will be giving Mark access to be able to manage this as well.
> >
> > https://cloud.docker.com/u/389ds/repository/list
> >
> > Initially we'll name the image as:
> >
> > 389ds/dirsrv:1.4.rc
> >
> > Once we are happy with the process, and have received some community feedback we'll move to:
> >
> > 389ds/dirsrv:1.4.1
> > 389ds/dirsrv:1.4.2
> > 389ds/dirsrv:1.4 # points to latest 1.4.X
> > 389ds/dirsrv:latest # points to newest version
> >
> > We would of course encourage people to use the "latest" tag.
> >
> > -- Support
> >
> > During the rc phase we would announce that the container support is "best effort" and we'll obviously work to resolve issues, but it's not suitable for production work loads.
> >
> > Once we are happy with this for a few releases, we'll move to the same support levels as our normal releases - best effort community, and patch backporting as we normally do. For official support, contact a vendor like SUSE or Red Hat.
> >
> > -- Future / Downstreams
> >
> > The design of the container integration is such that we should be able to easily swap the suse/fedora/rhel as the base image, so downstreams should be able to easily adopt the dscontainer tool and have customers pivot from the upstream image to their vendor image quite easily.
> >
> > A future container option is to supply a tools container that has a shell + ds* tools, so that you can have a work flow such as:
> >
> > docker run -v 389ds:/data 389ds/dirsrv:latest
> > docker run -i -t -v 389ds:/data 389ds/tools:latest
> > # shell inside of the tools container
> > # dsconf ....
> >
> > -- Testing today:
> >
> > To test the image as it exists today:
> >
> > docker pull registry.opensuse.org/home/firstyear/containers/389-ds-container:latest
> >

> > Thoughts and feedback?

> [...]

Matúš Honěk
Software Engineer
Red Hat Czech