Re: Porting Perl scripts

> On 25 Jun 2019, at 02:53, Mark Reynolds <mreynolds@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> On 6/24/19 12:28 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> This is used often actually, and is a good debugging tool.   I think it just creates a task, so it should be ported to CLI (added to replication CLI sub commands)
>>> Does not need to be ported as its a standalone tool
>>

>> Would be great to eliminate perl altogether . . . but this one will be tricky to port to python . . .
>
> Yes it would be nice to port this script, but it will be a lot of work (especially with the database implementation).  There was a ticket open to track this effort: https://pagure.io/389-ds-base/issue/50283
>
> Now what I really meant though is that this is a lower priority effort since it's not actually interacting with DS.  Basically it's just looking at text files so there is no lib389 porting involved.  Maybe we can target this work for 389-ds-base-1.4.3?
>
> Or build these stats into DS and make it a new monitor entry? Not sure if this is feasible, and it would only report stats from the last server startup.   Something to think about though...

For now, I'd rather target just the "configuration" style perl scripts. Things like logconv can stay for now.

> Mark

>>> This script is obsolete IMHO
>>> I will update the ticket, but we need the same functionality of the ns_* tools, especially the new status work that went into ns_accountstatus.pl - that all came from customer escalations so we must not lose that functionality.
>>> Yes
>>> Yes

On all other points I agree, and work has already gone into a lot of these places :)

A good way to test this is "--disable-perl" which should eliminate these scripts for you in a build, then you can see what is missing in test cases.

—
Sincerely,

William Brown

Senior Software Engineer, 389 Directory Server
SUSE Labs