Re: please review: Replication Status Message Improvements

On 6/12/19 12:53 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Mark Reynolds wrote:
On 6/12/19 11:41 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Mark Reynolds wrote:
http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/design/repl-agmt-status-design.html
conn_error is 0 in all the examples. What would this be used for?
Well there are two type of errors that can occur.  One is a replication
error (missing CSN, replica busy, etc), and the other type is a
connection/LDAP failure (can not contact server, invalid credentials, no
such object, etc).  This is just how its currently designed in the code,
so I carried it forward into the JSON object.
Ok.

What about compatibility with older versions of 389-ds, particularly
tools that read replication status? Are they going to blow up with the
new status format?

With the new design, yes.  But the old design is broken IMHO.  At some point we need to improve this, and it will be disruptive whether it's implemented today or next year.   We could always just implement the JSON attribute, but then we will have a discrepancy between the two attributes.  I'd prefer not to do that as the whole point of all this is to improve the clarity of the agreement status.

Mark

rob