Re: Design Doc: Automatic server tuning by default

On Fri, 2016-11-04 at 12:07 +0100, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:
> On 11/04/2016 06:51 AM, William Brown wrote:
> > http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/design/autotuning.html
> >
> > I would like to hear discussion on this topic.
> thread number:
>   independent of number of cpus I would have a default minmum number of
> threads,

What do you think would be a good minimum? With too many threads to CPU,
we can cause an overhead in context switching that is not efficient.

> your test result for reduced thread number is with clients quickly
> handling responses and short operations.
>   But if some threads are serving lazy clients or do database access and
> have to wait, you can quickly run out of threads handling new ops

Mmm this is true. Nunc-Stans helps a bit here, but not completely.

I wonder if something like 16 or 24 or something is a good "minimum",
and then if we detect more then we start to scale up.

> entry cache:
> you should not only take the available memory into account but also the
> size of the database, it doesn't make sense to blow up the cache and its
> associated data (eg hashtables) for a small database just because the
> memory is there

Well, the cache size is "how much we *could* use" not "how much we will
use". So setting a cache size of 20GB for a 10Mb database doesn't
matter, as we'll still only use ~10Mb of memory.

The inverse of this, is that if we did set cachesize on database size,
what happens with a large online bulkload? We would need to retune the
database cache size, which means a restart of the application. Not
something that IPA/Admins want to hear. I think it's safer to just have
the higher number.

--
Sincerely,

William Brown