Re: Logging performance improvement

On Thu, 2016-07-07 at 09:25 -0400, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> William,
>
> Yes this looks great, but I think we should apply this to the audit and
> errors log as well.  We always have the problem of enabling verbose
> error logging because of the severe performance impact it has
> (especially since the errors log is not buffered).  Having all the logs
> using this model would be very useful for DS users and the support team.

I was planning to use this for *all* our logging subsystems. Not just
access. I want to consolidate and simplify this area of the code.

> > This is looking a great idea. You are proposing to use liblfds to
> > communicate with the log write. Do you think dbus would be an other
> > option ? Would it help external mechanism to collect the DS logs ?

There is no reason that the log event after it comes out the queue can't
be sent to:

* Directory Server logs
* Syslog
* Splunk
* Someone's email
* pipe / dbus / something else to an external process.

I still am against journald as an option, due to it's technical
limitations.

> > thanks
> > thierry
> >
> > On 07/01/2016 03:52 AM, William Brown wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've been thinking about this for a while, so I decided to dump my
> >> thoughts to a document. I think I won't get to implementing this for a
> >> while, but it would really help our server performance.
> >>
> >> http://www.port389.org/docs/389ds/design/logging-performance-improvement.html
> >>

> >> --

Sincerely,

William Brown