[389-devel] clarification on dn normalization

Hello,

i would like to get comments on a problem related to dn normalization. In 389 it is possible to create entries, where their dn only differs in the number of spaces inside the value of the rdn attribute, eg:

ldapsearch .....  -b "dc=example,dc=com" "cn=user two"  dn
dn: cn=user       two,dc=example,dc=com
dn: cn=user                      two,dc=example,dc=com

Note the the search filter was did contain only one space, also attemping to add a new cn value differing in the number of spaces fails.

[ludwig@elkris perf]$  ldapmodify .....
dn: cn=user                      two,dc=example,dc=com
changetype: modify
add: cn
cn: user two

modifying entry "cn=user                      two,dc=example,dc=com"
ldap_modify: Type or value exists (20)

So on the attribute level, attribute value normalization maps all variants to a single space, which I think is correct. In my opinion this should also apply
to the use of an attribuet in the dn.
If you try to add the second entry above in OpenLDAP the result is:
ldap_add: already exists(68)
And, although I have no DSEE instance available, DSEE also does not allow adding these two entries.

It is a bit cumberome to find exactly in the RFCs what is the expected behaviour, but I think in the string prep description there is a step for removing insignificant space and to me it would be reasonable to apply the same normalization to an attribute if it is used in a dn as when used just as aregular attribute.

Regards,
Ludwig