Re: [389-devel] please review ticket #129 - Should only update modifyTimestamp/modifiersName on MODIFY ops

On 02/07/2012 02:42 PM, Mark Reynolds wrote:
I had a typo in part of the fix, but...

After looking at ticket #111, I think maybe we should add this flag to memberOf, referint, and maybe some other plugins.

Any thoughts on this?
If the concern is the audit trail, then when memberof, referint, etc. make some change to some other entry based on a change to the original entry, then the modifiersName should be the DN of the user that made the original change to the original entry that triggered the additional change. Same with the modifyTimestamp.

However, for other uses e.g. updating the password policy failure attributes during a failed bind attempt, you might not want to update modifiersName and modifyTimestamp even though the entry was modified.

Thanks,
Mark

PS - having email issues again, so this is a duplicate