Re: [389-devel] Re: Please review: OpenLDAP support

Howard Chu wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:20:22 -0600
From: Rich Megginson<rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>

Note - the patch does not contain the diffs for configure nor Makefile.in
http://rmeggins.fedorapeople.org/0001-OpenLDAP-support.patch

We probably should talk about exposing the UTF8 APIs. The only reason they were kept private is because they weren't part of the RFC1823 or the expired C API draft, but they've been present for at least the past 9 years.
Yeah, the utf8 API is in kind of a weird place. Some stuff is provided by the OS, like utf8 <-> charset conversion (iconv), some stuff is provided by third party libraries we already use (ICU). It's really odd that an LDAP library should provide a utf8 API - it just seems as though there should be a more widespread utf8 API library (ICU is very heavyweight if that's all you're going to use it for - a sledgehammer for a thumbtack). However, since utf8 is so integral to LDAP, having LDAP expose a useful API would be a good thing.

re: ldif_read_record() and the public LDIF API, note our ITS#5892; some of the function signatures here will change soon so that error can be distinguished from EOF. (But since 2.4's APIs are supposed to be frozen it may wait until 2.5.)
Ok. We will have to track that and be prepared when the change occurs. Thanks for the heads-up.