Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Please Review: Syntax validation design document

Nathan Kinder wrote:
Rich Megginson wrote:
Nathan Kinder wrote:
I've been working on the design document for adding syntax validation support to Fedora DS. Feedback would be appreciated.

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Syntax_Validation_Design

Thanks,
-NGK
Looks good. I think it would be better for nsslapd-syntaxcheck to have different values - off, warn, error, on- or something like that - rather than have another config parameter nsslapd-syntaxwarn
Sure, I can merge those into a single config parameter. I just made them separate since there is already a CONFIG_ON_OFF type that deals with things such as mapping "0/1" to "on/off". Perhaps it would be good to add a new generic config type of CONFIG_ON_OFF_WARN that can take values of "0/1/2" or "on/off/warn".

Do you have any thoughts on the non-standard syntaxes that are mentioned in the design doc? The "Binary" syntax would be difficult to remove since it is used by 20 or so attributes, including most of the certificate related attributes. These attributes now have their own specific syntaxes, so we would have to add support for them before getting rid of the "Binary" syntax. I think that the "SpaceInsensitiveString" and "URI" syntaxes can be removed since "URI" isn't used by any of the default schema and "SpaceInsensitiveString" was added specifically for the Presence plug-in.
The problem is that there is no way to know if someone is using these. We should figure out a way to deprecate them or allow them to be switched on and off, with the default being off. That way, if someone really is using them, they can turn them on while the migrate to using a standard syntax.

-NGK