Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Using Directory Client without an admin server running

Sztupák Sz. Zsolt wrote:
Hi!

I was just curious: Is it officially possible to use the directory client for LDAP-related jobs without having an admin server running? I mean most of the things you'll use the client for is LDAP related (adding-removing users, changing attributes, changing ACLs, etc.), and there is no need for an admin server to be running.

Unofficially I managed to hack a small groovy script that will run the DS client (inside fedora-ds-1.1.jar) and connect to a server. Browsing the directory and changing attributes works, but adding a new entry, or changing ACL-s will crash the program (but I'm trying to figure out why). You still need an "o=netscaperoot" base in your LDAP directory, but at least the admin server need not be running (we are running a service on a Gentoo Linux based machine with Lighttpd, and don't want to use/install Apache).
Yes, it should work. I would first suggest taking a look at the main Console code - there used to be a command line switch that would allow you to go directly to the server you wanted to edit, and pass in the admin auth credentials too. It's that auth part that may require the admin server.

Please paste the output of running your script to fpaste.org and paste the link here - perhaps we can help debug it.

SztupY

console.groovy:
// create a fedora-ds-1.1.jar in your home directory containing all classes (merge all jar files IDM uses into one named fedora-ds-1.1.jar) for this script to work
import com.netscape.admin.dirserv.DSAdmin;
import com.netscape.management.client.console.*;
import com.netscape.management.client.util.Debug;
import java.awt.*;
import netscape.ldap.*;
com.netscape.management.client.util.Debug.setTraceLevel(9);
DSAdmin d = new DSAdmin();
ConsoleInfo i = new ConsoleInfo("HOST_NAME",389,"USER_NAME","PASSWORD","o=NetscapeRoot");
LDAPConnection c = new LDAPConnection();
c.connect("HOST_NAME",389,"USER_NAME","PASSWORD");
i.setLDAPConnection(c);
i.setCurrentDN("cn=SERVER_NAME,cn=fedora directory server,cn=server group,cn=HOST_NAME,o=netscaperoot");
i.setAdminOS("Windows"); // in Windows
d.initialize(i);
Component cc = d.getCustomPanel();
d.select(null);