Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Proposal: name the new core package "fedora-ds-core"

Richard Megginson wrote:
As we found out the hard way, the new Fedora Extras fedora-ds package conflicts with existing fedora-ds 1.0.x installations. I've tried
Conflicts: fedora-ds < 1.1
and
Conflicts: fedora-ds <= 1.0.4
neither one prevents you from installing fedora-ds 1.1 on top of your fedora-ds 1.0.4 installation and removing the admin server and console.

I propose that we change the package naming to reflect the actual contents. So, the current fedora-ds 1.1 would be called fedora-ds-core, which is really what it is - the core LDAP server and command line tools - the core functionality.

Subsequent packages would follow this convention: fedora-ds-admin, fedora-ds-console, etc. We could then have a fedora-ds "meta package" which had nothing in it but dependencies on fedora-ds-core, fedora-ds-admin, etc. and perhaps a few scripts, so that you could 'yum install fedora-ds' and it would install the same functionality as the fedora-ds 1.0.4 package.

I think I'd suggest the name fedora-ds-base. The word 'core' could be confusing to some, esp on non-Fedora platforms. It also aligns itself with another large system broken into pieces, KDE (kdebase kdelibs, etc).

rob