Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Re: Fedora-directory-devel Digest, Vol 7, Issue 2

Peter Djalaliev wrote:
Hm,

I started from scratch, installing downloading, compiling and installing everything on another machine. Here is exactly what I did:

I started from scratch on a machine with Ubuntu Linux, kernel 2.6. I downloaded and installed OpenSSL 0.9.8. Then I download and installed Apache 2.0.55 with SSL enabled. After that, I downloaded NSPR 4.6 (both the source tree and the release) and NSS 3.10 (source tree). I copied the nsprpub from the mozilla dir of the NSPR 4.6 source tree to the mozilla dir of the NSS 3.10 source tree. After compiling NSS, I used this and the compiled release of NSPR 4.6 to compile mod_nss, which I downloaded from the Fedora Directory Server website.

After compiling mod_nss, I installed it and modified the nss.conf (in the Apache conf dir) file as follows: put <IfDefine SSL> and </IfDefine> around its contents, specified where NSS should be looking for its database and changed the nickname of the certificate NSS should look for in the database.

At this point, I could run 'apachectl startssl', which would ask me for the NSS database password and then start. I could establish the secure connection through a browser - after being asked to accept the certificate (which is the one I wanted NSS to use).

However, if I run 'httpd -X -k start' or 'httpd -X -k startssl', I get a segmentation fault and a core dump. When I used GDB to analyze it, everythig seems fine until at some point, when the httpd executable receives a SIGSEGV signal for a segmentation fault.

Strange that it would crash without startssl (when theoretically it isn't invoking mod_nss). Can you send me a stack trace of the non-pthreads crashes, both with and without startssl?

Now, if I reinstall Apache 2.0.55 from the same source tree I used before (after first deleting the directory of the installed Apache), I can run 'httpd -X -k start' with no problem. In the end, I generated a key and a self-signed certificate and fired up Apache w/ mod_ssl with 'httpd -X -k start -DSSL'. It worked alright.

So, it seems that when I try to use mod_nss, I get a segmentation fault when I try to use debugging. When I revert back to mod_ssl, it works fine. Where could things be going wrong?

All -X does is prevent forking, so I'm not sure why it is causing you so much grief.

rob

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Directory Announce]     [Fedora Users]     [Older Fedora Users Mail]     [Fedora Advisory Board]     [Fedora Security]     [Fedora Devel Java]     [Fedora Desktop]     [ATA RAID]     [Fedora Marketing]     [Fedora Mentors]     [Fedora Package Review]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Music]     [Fedora Packaging]     [CentOS]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Art]     [Fedora Docs]