Re: About placement of dual-life modules

On 04/26/2011 11:51 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:00:46PM +0800, Robin Lee wrote:
>>
>> Some dual-life modules, like PathTools and CGI, are placed within
>> vendor path in Fedora 15. This situation is not expected by some
>> applications, for example, "cpanm -L" command will definitely fail if
>> an installing package needs such dual-life modules.
>>
> This is problem of that applications. They should not expect exact location.
>
> Formally, some packagers wanted to install all Fedora modules into core. But
> there are some RPM-related problems (files in debuginfo subpackages would
> conflict because debug data are delivered by one subpackage for all
> subpackages together) and some packagers were against it.
>
>> So, why not just exclude such modules in perl.spec,
> Because the meaning of dual-lived packages is to live together (in Fedora
> repository, not in system). The idea is users are not disturbed by
> updating all perl core subpackages just for sake of upgrading a core module.
>
>> and place the updated dual-life modules to site paths?
>>
> Site? Site is for third-party modules. If Fedora installed packages into site,
> where would user install their software?
>

> I think cpan* should be (pre)configured to install into site instead of
> vendor.
>
> -- Petr

I don't think there is bug in cpanm:
<citation>
-L, --local-lib-contained

    Same with --local-lib but when examining the dependencies, it
assumes no non-core modules are installed on the system. It's handy if
you want to bundle application dependencies in one directory so you can
distribute to other machines.
</citation>

I suppose easiest work around for you is install core modules manually
with cpanm into INC where will be found.

--
Marcela MaÅlÃÅovÃ
BaseOS team Brno