Re: Why does Fedpra's perl need systemtap?

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would you please explain in detail why Fedora's perl needs systemtap and
> what it uses it for?
>
> As I tried to outline in the BZ above, the consequence on perl and
> Fedora are dramatic.

I think you're over-exaggerating the consequences, Ralf.

It's not perl that requires systemtap; it's perl-devel that requires
systemtap-sdt-devel. Ideally, almost no-one should need to have
perl-devel installed; it should really only be necessary when building
XS modules or linking with libperl. Unfortunately, our packaging is
less than perfect, so a few packages end up pulling in perl-devel
unnecessarily (mostly through Test::Builder and Test::More). I'm going
to take a look at removing some of these where the requirement is
obviously wrong. And for things like SQL-Translator that include their
own test modules, I'd suggest splitting off a separate
perl-Test-SQL-Translator sub-package.

As for your other concern that systemtap-sdt-devel is pulling in
python, have you ever tried to "yum remove python"? Like it or not,
python is a pretty fundamental requirement in Fedora and will be
present on just about every installation anyway.

--
Iain.