Re: why is Padre dependent on Win32::API on Fedora ? [was Re: Broken dependencies: perl-Padre]

On 02/08/2010 06:10 PM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw these bug reports starting to flow in two days ago,
> just in time to mention them during my talk on FOSDEM.
>
> The problem seems to be that the rpm builder extracted the list of
> dependencies of Padre from its source code. This did not notice that
> Win32::API is use only when running on Windows and thus it was
> included in the list of dependencies.
>
> The right way would be to use the list of dependencies as supplied in
> the META.yml file in the Padre tarbal.
>
> Dave Cross blogged about this probably explaining in a much better way
> than I did:
> http://perlhacks.com/2010/02/building-rpms-from-cpan-distributions.php

Though I partially agree with Dave on his "rpm does something
brain-dead" statement, I think his reasoning suffers from a thinko:

<cite>
And that's, of course, where the RPM builders should be going to get a
list of dependencies. META.yml contains the list of other modules that
the author wants the module to depend on. This should be seen as the
definitive list. Of course, there might be errors in that list - but
that should be addressed by raising a bug against the module.
</cite>

IMO, he misses that what a perl-module's author thinks he wants "his
module to depend on" is largely irrelevant to Fedora.
What is relevant to Fedora, is "what the module actually uses" and what
we _want_ it to actually use.

These sets overlap, but ... they are not identical.

Example: Putting bugs in Meta.yml aside (they are not so uncommon as
people might believe), a classical corner-case in rpm-packaging
perl-modules are "Perl required'ed modules" (i.e. optional modules).

To us, they often are not optional, but mandatory (rpm's "Requires:"),
because rpm doesn't have a concept of "optional requires".

Finally: I question your claim of "META.yml" to be always right.

Ralf
--
Fedora Extras Perl SIG
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Perl