Re: Module needs a non-packaged module, how to?

V Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 02:03:50PM -0000, Johan Vromans napsal(a):
> For the next release of my ChordPro application (fedora package `chordpro`,
> CPAN module `App::Music::ChordPro`) it needs a CPAN module that is not
> packaged: `JavaScript::QuickJS`.
>
> How to proceed? I have no intentions to become package maintainer for this
> module.

From engineering point of view, packaging JavaScript::QuickJS would be the
best option.

> Can I add the module source as `Source1` and build it together with the rest
> of ChordPro?

You can. But you need to follow
<https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#bundling>.

Also don't miss that if you install bundled JavaScript::QuickJS into standard
Perl paths (e.g. /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl) it will become available to
other Perl code and users and you will get into same troubles as if you
packaged it separately.

> Should I use a `cpan` command to add it?

Do you mean when building chordpro in Fedora Koji? No, because Koji has no
access to the Internet.

Do you mean after installing chordpro on a user's systems when a user execute
the application? Not that it would be impossible, but it's against Fedora's
spirit (and maybe some rules) that packages that Fedora delivers are usable
per se without third-party artifacts.

> Or is there a better way?

lib/ChordPro/Delegate/ABC.pm shows that there more options than
JavaScript::QuickJS. But the other options are also not packaged in Fedora.

Maybe removing ChordPro::Delegate::ABC module from chordpro RPM package could
be an option. The module is only used from a single place and the use is
guarded with an eval block. If chordpro is usable without ABC support, then it
could be the way.

-- Petr