Perl on Reddit

Hi Matt,

I see scottchiefbaker linked your Reddit convo[0] on #fedora-perl
but left before anybody could answer his question.  I'm not on
Reddit so I'll just comment here; perhaps you can forward that :)

The way perls packaged is intentional and small installation
footprint wasn't, as far as I know, the reason.  It was more
of a general modular (ha) packaging rule -- perl, as a source
package, is the same as whatever upstream ships in their tarball.
It is then split into subpackages, where perl is just the
interpreter and dozens of the bundled modules are available
as subpackages.  The same perl modules are also available as
standalone packages so they can be updated.  This allows people
(and packages) install only what they need which is rarely the
entire installation of perl which, among other things, pulls in
gcc and the entire C development toolchain.  That's the default
upstream perl experience, after all.  Doing so in Fedora was
deemed unacceptable.

People who expect the whole thing can always install perl-core.
Perhaps there could be a 'Perl Development' comps group, too,
to make this option more visible.

Using weak dependencies would install C development tools on
practically every system by default.  I don't think that's the
answer here.

P.S. The list is fine ;) Maybe someone else can comment or
     correct my possibly false statements above.

[0] https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6fu9ma/im_matthew_miller_fedora_project_leader_ama/dil9mwh/?context=3