Re: perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta merging into perl-CPAN-Meta

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 09:57:18AM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Upstream has merged Parse::CPAN::Meta into the CPAN-Meta dist. Normally, I'd
> just add appropriate obsoletes/provides, retire perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta and
> that would be that. However, the perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta package has an epoch,
> which the perl-CPAN-Meta package does not, so in order to avoid
> self-obsoletion, I would have to bump epoch in the perl-CPAN-Meta package
> too.

I think the obsoletion applies only to package. Not to Provides (RPM symbols).
That means it will not obsolete itself. But I did not try it.

> Alternatively, I could take up the hint here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrade_paths_%E2%80%94_renaming_or_splitting_packages#Do_I_need_to_Provide_my_old_package_names.3F
>
> and have the obsolete without the provide. This looks much cleaner, and
> there's only one package in Rawhide that requires perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta
> explicitly, which is perl-core. So if that dependency was dropped (the
> existing dependency on perl-CPAN-Meta will still be there to pull in the
> module), all would be well.

We need the dependency for bootstrapping because perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta is
perl.spec's subpackage when bootstrapping. But that could be fixed by
replaceing perl-core's dependency from perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta to
perl(Parse::CPAN::Meta).

Another option would be to provide unversioned perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta from
perl-CPAN-Meta or version it including the the "1" epoch.

Yet another option is to make real perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta sub-package in
perl-CPAN-Meta.spec with "1" epoch.

But all that makes things more complicated. I would change perl-core's
dependency to perl(Parse::CPAN::Meta) and then upgrade perl-CPAN-Meta with
obsoleting but without providing perl-Parse-CPAN-Meta.

> Should this go to F-25 as well?

No. Removing packages breaks compatibility.

-- Petr

Fedora Extras Perl SIG
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Perl