Re: #! /usr/bin/perl preferred

Chris Weyl wrote:
Yeah.  I've actually been running into that over the last couple
months...  at $work, we have machines at several different OS levels,
and a smattering of RH, SLES, etc.  Building and installing Perl
independently of the system Perl helps get around some of the
cruftiness of the machines, especially as we can't replace the system
Perl as it may have OS implications.

Having two perl (and two anything else) is first step to maintance hell.
We have virtualization, chroot.... for such experiments.

(and then one ends
up sorting through scripts with different interpreters hardcoded...
which makes life even more exciting.)

How does it differ from half system using one perl and half using second perl? One pain or second pain?

Frankly -- is it hurting anything we do?  If not, then I'd say let's
not worry about it.  TMTOWTDI :)

It comes to question, who is our target user. If this was asked on Ubuntu forum I would argue as loud as possible for /usr/bin/perl, because possibility that somebody will make some mess in /local or ~ /bin is high, and env will make it worse. But we are Fedora, so I will not argue about it here since, I have to admit, I do not now who is target user of Fedora.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering

--