Re: Removing perl from build root

On 04/04/16 08:46, Petr Pisar wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 05:00:14PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 04/01/2016 03:46 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:14:43PM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 02:43:41PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
Requires: (perl-generators if perl-libs)

That's interesting idea. I only worry there could be cases when the
perl-generators were unnecessarily installed. E.g. you install vim-enhanced,
thus you have perl-libs, and you install rpm-build for building non-perl
packages. Then you will have perl-generators. I'm not sure how much it
would bother people.

One more issue. It would not work if you had a spec file that does not need
a perl for building. Spec that only installs a perl script into /usr/bin.
I know there are some.

These package should be considered broken.

We require run-time deps to be present as build-deps to make sure these
packages actually are runable and installable.

Oh, really? I know it's good to run tests, but still there are plenty of
packages without tests (covering the perl scipts), so besides knowing we had
all run-time dependencies on build-time, build-requiring them does not have
other benefits.

In my opinion, it only proves the package was installable into the build root.
But users install the packages days or weeks after building them, when the
repository is different. I'm not sure the expense of inflating build root is
worth of it. Especially if we can do proper check on compose.

I think it's useful to find missing dependencies at build time rather than install time, which is why I always try to have all run-time dependencies as build dependencies too.

Paul.
--
Fedora Extras Perl SIG
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Perl